Managing a successful e-commerce business is more than just great products and a good website. In this article, we analyze 7 tips to make your online business profitable.
Electronic commerce is a highly competitive and successful
sector, but not all online businesses succeed. For an e-commerce business
to succeed, it takes more than just quality products and a good marketing
strategy. In this article, we will share 7 tips to make your e-commerce
business a success. This is not an exhaustive list, and it is likely that
in the future, we will analyze these issues in more detail. For now, use
this article as a quick guide to help you make your e-commerce business a great
7 TIPS FOR YOUR E-COMMERCE BUSINESS TO BE SUCCESSFUL:
1: KNOW YOUR PUBLIC OBJECTIVE
Whether you have an online store or a cafeteria, it is essential that you know your target audience. Fortunately, understanding your target customers is very easy, thanks to online technology. Online businesses have access to a wide variety of tools that can help you better understand your customers, know what they want, and how to reach them. From Google Analytics to Facebook Insights, make sure you take advantage of the technologies you have available and use them to get to know your customers better. Here are some tips for meeting your target audience:
- Create an image of the client. Think about how your ideal client is. It is a fundamental first step in knowing who to direct your products to.
- Collect data about your online audience. Take advantage of tools such as Google Analytics or Facebook Insights to gather information about your consumers. This can cover all kinds of things, from general information, such as age and sex, to more complex aspects of their behavior in social networks, for example.
- Target your key customers effectively. Use buyer information and online analysis and address customers accordingly.
2: FOCUS ON FUNCTIONALITY
Succeeding on the internet means offering an excellent user experience. Whether you sell clothes or appliances, you want your customers to have a good shopping experience. Online stores that offer a poor experience are bound to fail, regardless of the quality of their products. No matter how specialized your niche is, the field of e-commerce is so saturated that there will surely be another website (or several) that offer the same products. If these websites offer a better user experience than yours, do not expect your customers to be faithful for a long time. Here are some recommendations to build an online store with good usability:
- Write excellent product descriptions. All your products must be accompanied by a detailed description that provides as much information as possible.
- Offer comprehensive information. Do not force your customers to call you on the phone to know more, because they will most likely not do so. From the payment instructions to the data about the company, use your website to expose the information that you consider most important.
- Make it easy to get in touch with you. If your customers need to get in touch, they should be able to do it quickly and easily. Show your contact information on your website, and put links to your profiles on social networks, in case customers prefer to communicate with you that way.
3: MAKES THE PAYMENT PROCESS EASY
Note: it is actually an aspect of functionality, but it deserves a separate mention. The purchase process is an essential part of an e-commerce business; The difficulties that occur during the payment process can be frustrating, and the last thing you will want is to frustrate your customers when they are about to finish the purchase. In fact, a frustrating checkout could force the customer to leave the shopping cart and leave your website to buy in another. So you must ensure that the payment process is as simple as possible. Here are some ways to get it:
- Minimize the steps. The research shows that fewer clicks during the checkout can usually result in a greater conversion rate.
- Includes credit card logos and security certificates. Everyone gets a little nervous when using a credit card on the internet, especially with a provider you are not yet familiar with. Use credit card logos and security certificates to help build trust between you and your customers.
- Offers subscription options after payment. Many customers feel dissuaded when asked to sign up for an account or mailing list before making their first purchase. If you offer these options at checkout (which you should), be sure to do so once the transaction is complete.
- Confirm shipping details during the payment process. This will help your customers feel more secure in relation to their purchase.
4: OPTIMIZE YOUR MOBILE WEB PAGE
More than 60% of smartphone users have made an online purchase from their phones in the last 6 months. And as mobile technology progresses, this figure will increase. Therefore, it is more important than ever that you optimize the online shopping experience for mobile users. If you don’t, you could be losing a good portion of customers. Here are some suggestions to make the e-commerce experience suitable for mobile devices:
- Check your website on mobile devices. Analyze the mobile experience you offer by visiting your store from different devices. Take note of the main aspects that can be improved.
- Get in touch with your team of developers to develop a design adapted to mobile devices. Any developer worth his salt will know what you are talking about.
- Use mobile compatible subdomains. In case you cannot create a web page that is automatically optimized for mobile browsing, you can redirect mobile users to a subdomain suitable for these devices. They usually consist of something like m.
5: TRY IT ALL
Rehearsals are a key aspect of the success of an online store. From the beginning, you must test and analyze all the decisions you make in relation to your e-commerce store. Better yet, carry out A / B tests on various strategies to get instant information about each one, and then choose the best one. This will help you make informed decisions instead of deciding blindly. Here are some areas in which to perform A / B tests:
- Ads, either on social networks or Google
- Content Articles
- Search for advertising texts such as meta descriptions and titles
- Promotional material such as banners, creatives, videos, marketing campaigns, etc.
6: CREATE EXCEPTIONAL CONTENT
“Content is king.” If you are looking for online success, the chances are that you have already heard this famous phrase. And it is true; good content is one of the most important aspects of a successful electronic commerce project. Unfortunately, there are hundreds of content of different types, from on-page advertising texts to the content of emails and blog articles. And all content can be improved in different ways. For now, here are some general tips for creating better online content, whatever its form.
- Produce good texts. Advertising texts are an essential part of marketing, and the quality of your writing will have a huge impact on the success of your different campaigns. We recommend working with professional copywriters whenever possible.
- Translate your content. You will not be doing yourself a favor with a monolingual website. Be sure to translate all content to increase the chances of attracting more customers.
7: KNOW WHERE AND HOW TO GET TO YOUR CUSTOMERS
Effective communication is essential for the success of any business. However, you will not be able to communicate well with your audience if you do not know where and how to reach it. In the online world, there are numerous ways to communicate with your potential customers. You should have a clear understanding of the online channels in which they have more active participation and address them with quality content. Here are some common channels to communicate with your customers:
- Social networks. Platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram attract millions of users daily. And in companies like yours are also great channels to interact with the customer.
- Email. The classic inbox remains one of the best ways to communicate with potential customers. In fact, email can attract more customers than social networks and search together.
Finally, one of the most important tips for the success of an e-commerce business is the following: It evolves constantly. The online landscape is constantly changing, and you need to evolve with it to ensure that your website remains relevant. From search algorithms to new functions of social networks, there are always novelties that try to conquer the increasingly competitive world of the internet. With a combination of good analytics, flexible processes, forecasting, and a certain dose of speculation, you can use all this in your favor and gain influence over your competition.